Sunday, January 31, 2010

Is it seriously still snowing?!


They lied to me! They said it rarely snows and it's been snowing for 3 days straight!!

So last night...

The international girls went to The Watering Hole, which is the Hillhead Halls pub/club whatever you want to call it. When we got there, there were not many people down there. We went to the bar and hung around until we figured out what drinks we wanted. Trey had talked a lot about the WKD, similiar to Smirnoff. I didn't see anyone getting those so I waited a while. Colleen got a coke and whiskey, which surprisingly, I liked a lot. Maybe because the coke was flat? I don't know. A couple other girls, got some beer, but I'm still not a fan of that. Connie got a Strombow Cider, which I really liked. Then I finally got my WKD blue, and it tasted like a blue jollyrancher/ blue ICEE. We all tasted each others drinks (obviously) and just hung out and got to know each other. We eventually moved to a back corner and just talked some more. Caitlin (crazy crazy girl on my hall) and Meg and some more of her friends came in and talked and hung out. Caitlin had snuck some Strombow in, so me and Suzanne drank some more of that. Suzanne drank about the whole glass and I had half a glass. It was so much fun to just sit there and mingle with girls from the States and from Scotland and just laugh and talk about stuff. Caitlin told us about a girl who used to live on the hall who would have sex with her boyfriend every night. They called her... shagging girl? They used to sit outside and listen to them, awkward much. But it made for a great laugh. They eventually left after they begged us to go out with them to the clubs, but we weren't feeling up for that. When they left we went into the bar area again with Rebecca and met 2 guys. Paul was from Belfast and the other one was from Scotland. Paul was hilarious, the other one reminded me of a rat. He was just super nasty and drunk. He stood next to me the whole time and tried to talk to me... but seeing as he was drunk and Scottish, I couldn't understand a word he said... maybe something about a party with him... Just say no! They told us some interesting stories about hot tubs, showers with best friends girlfriends and God knows what else. We got out of there as soon as we can... which was about 30 minutes after talking with them. They weren't kidding when they said Scots drink! I didn't have my camera last night... so I'm waiting for the pics from Grace.

It took me FOREVER to go to bed last night... which I guess I'm still jet lagged and feeling more like going to bed when I should at home which is around 3 a.m here. Which sucks. But oh well, it should get better soon.

Today we went to Sunday Brunch. It is a typical Scottish breakfast... sausage, ham/bacon, eggs (more like boiled eggs mashed up), toast, and lots of other stuff that I have NO IDEA what it was... But I tried all of it. The best part was the toast.. haha! Anyway, over time I'll probably like it more? We all went on a tour of Aberdeen today. It was free for international students. I sat beside Liz and we talked and just listened to the tour guide.





Aberdeen is the 3rd largest city in Scotland. It is an industrial city, on the coast and it has 2 rivers (Dee and Don) running through it. Mostly oil, boats, etc that bring in the most people. The buildings are all made out of grey granite, and it sparkles in the sunlight (sound familiar lol). It is very pretty. Most houses have different color doors, bright blue, red, green, it's awesome. The Uni of Aberdeen was established in 1495, freakin old! So most of its buildings are also old. Which is cool to think about. Honestly, if you want to know about Aberdeen... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen that will tell you everything we learned today. It was really cool to learn more about the city that I will soon call home.

When we came back from the tour, we tried to get something to eat, but everything closes at 4:30 or earlier on Sundays. So we came back to Hillhead and thankfully the store was open. Me, Liz and Katie got Ritz crackers, cheese, chicken breast, yogurt, Irn Bru (orange colored, bubblegum flavored soda) and sat on the floor and ate dinner in my room. We got to know each other and told stories about what home is like. I was talking to Liz about being homesick, and shes been feeling homesick as well and she said one thing I've learned from studying abroad before is... it's not the place that makes it home, it's the people. And I definitely am beginning to understand that. The international girls and even some of the Scottish girls are beginning to make this place feel like home.

I spent most of the evening figuring out my class schedule/ syllabus/ time/ etc. I feel way more organized now. I'm still waiting for one more tutorial and lab to be filled. I also have 2 papers to write. Intro to Gospels 2000 words, Knowledge and Mind 1500 words. They aren't due till April, so hopefully I can get working on those soon! I hung up more stuff around my room to make it colorful and someone was throwing away a pillow/ pillowcase so I washed the pillowcase and took the pillow so now I have 3 pillows :)

Tomorrow... my plan is to go to bfast with Liz and head into campus with her. Then buy our ceilidh tickets and she has class at 10. Stacey is going to take me to go pick up some groceries/other items I need since she has a car. She is a LIFESAVER! So I'm really happy about that. Hopefully, I can get some more planning down and figure out the rest of my classes as well.

For more pictures, look on facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, simply amazing. I'm so glad you're having fun over there! And the icee drink sounds really interesting! I really lol'd at the "shagging girl" and them listening in. Haha, oh wow. And the rat guy! omg, I think I can totally picture him. (Call him Ratface so we both have one!lol) & scottish breakfast made me smile. Toast was the best part? haha! :) The eggs sounded a wee bit gross, but eat without fear! ;)

    I miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. the drink was super yummy. and caitlin... is hilarious. i dont think i've seen her sober yet. but i'm in scotland, so will i ever see anyone scottish sober?! haha i miss you!

    ReplyDelete