Wednesday morning we got to the train station around 12 and sat around soaking up the sun. We saw the buses parked by the station and waited around in that general area. Around 1:45 we headed over to the buses because they said to meet there at 2. One very British lady showed up and that was it and we were like hmm this isn't right. So Trey ran over to where other buses were meeting and found the group of them. We went over there and they basically told us the drivers needed more rest and we weren't going anywhere until around 5. So Scott, Trey and I found a nice spot in the grass at the park that we were by and waited for about an hour and a half, I got fried, it was great.
At 4:30 we started loading the bus. There were 3 buses for everyone going. Thankfully, they put the families with children in one bus and everyone else into another. A lot of older couples on holiday and a group of students from the unni at Leeds there in Milan for design week. We got on the road about 4:45. We ended up stopping in Switzerland for a break before we went through a 17 mile long tunnel. Everything is so expensive in Switzerland. Don't go there. While we were in one of the many tunnels we had to go through, the other bus pulled over so we pulled over as well. We almost got hit by 3 different 18 wheelers. Scariest thing ever. We still don't know why the other bus pulled over. I was asleep for most of the time. I do remember hearing that instead of going across the French border we went into Germany for like a minute then back into France. Trey and I joked that we did our whole trip backwards, me excluding Amsterdam. The next thing I remember we had pulled into Calais, France about 8:30 the next morning. The ferry ride took about an hour and a half. We got to Dover, UK and then took the coach into London. We arrived into London around 12:30. We actually had a news anchor for BBC with us, most the people on the bus got interviewed (we decided not to talk because we weren't British haha). The whole trip from Milan to London only costed 60 euro, which was about 3 to 4 times cheaper than how many of my flatmates got home.
Once in London, we said bye to Scott (he wanted to get home ASAP so he paid 130 pounds for a train). Trey and I opted for a 15 pound bus ride from London to Dundee at midnight that night. So Trey and I spent the day exploring London. We found a Krispy Kreme and ate a whole dozen. We then went to Picadilly Circus, Westminster (which was closed AGAIN, we missed it by 15 minutes), London Eye (28 dollars to ride in a giant ferris wheel) and then the globe theater and abbey road. All in all the second trip to London was a success. I hope to do Westminster before I leave though... While we were on the bus ride back from Abbey Road, we stopped at a bus stop, and then we didn't move for like 30 minutes. Trey and I figured we should start walking to the metro and when we got out we saw that the street was blocked off and then the metro was closed. We went through a shopping mall and as soon as we walked in the alarm went off and they kicked everyone out. Come to find out a bomb had gone off in the Foot Locker on that square... At this point, I was like okay so we're never going to get back home. We asked a cop which metro was working and walked to the metro on the central line. We got to Victoria and got off and got Subway for dinner before getting on the bus.
The bus ride was a blur mainly because we slept the whole time. I woke up in Glasgow and I knew we were in Scotland because the sun had disappeared. We got to Dundee about 10:30 that Friday morning. It was such a long trip, but it was nice to finally be home. I stayed with Trey in Dundee until Saturday, so we could do laundry together and I could take a break from being in a bus for over 30 hours.
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment