Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dublin

I figured I should write about Dublin before I left for Brussels. Before I left for Dublin, me and Liz went to Dundee on Tuesday to experience their nightlife. Which I must say... is amazing. Their student union is really awesome, free entry and 1 pound drinks. All of his friends got completely plastered, which was entertaining for the most part. On Wednesday, Liz and I went to St. Andrews, which was a really pretty golf and college town. They had ruins of an old cathedral and of a castle. It was about 50 degrees that day as well so it felt good and we walked along the beach and had a grand ole time. We left Dundee around 8 that night. Thursday was Liz's 21st birthday. Let's just say, she probably doesn't remember any of it.

Friday, Trey and I left for the airport around 3:30 for our 4:45 flight. Thankfully we made it in time. The flight was about an hour from Aberdeen to Dublin. Once we got there, it took us a while to figure out which bus to take to our hotel, but we finally got it. We were staying in a Travelodge in Swords (which is a 25 minute bus ride from the centre of Dublin. Once we checked in, we got settled and went to find out how to get to the centre. It took us about 30 minutes of walking to realize we would not be able to walk from Swords to the centre. So we waited for a bus, and headed into town. We got food at a McDonalds (because it's cheap) and then just walked around for a little bit. Stupid us didn't know how to get back to Swords with the bus, so we had to take a 27 euro taxi back to the hotel. The driver was hilarious. He told us a bunch of jokes about Dublin like Dublin's the largest city in the world because it keeps "dublin" everyday. We got back to the hotel and immediately fell asleep. Until the super annoying Americans staying next door woke us up with the drunkselves and kept us up for about 2 hours. We tried calling the receptionist, but our phone didn't work. So we just kinda had to deal with it.

Saturday, we got up super early and headed to find where the Free Tour started. We got to the city hall in plenty of time. Our tour guide was Freda, she had red hair, green eyes and freckles and had an Irish accent. Perfect. We saw the Dublin Castle, Dubh Linn, Dublin’s Medieval Walls, Viking Remains, Norman Dublin, Georgian Dublin, Christ Church Cathedral, Adam and Eve Church, The National Library, Famous Writers, Temple Bar, U2- Origins of the rock legend, Ha’Penny Bridge, Spire of Dublin, City Hall, Trinity College, Leinster House, Chester Beatty Library, St. Stephen’s Green, 1916 Easter Rising. All in a matter of like 2 hours, instead of 3. Because... Ireland was playing Wales in a Rugby match that day. So after the tour, Trey and I went to the Porterhouse (where Freda recommended us to go to watch the game and eat). I had a mushroom burger and it was AMAZING. We watched most of the match before heading off to find Saint Patrick's Cathedral and all the Oscar Wilde stuff for Trey. We found the Oscar Wilde stuff, which was just a statue and a house. St. Patrick's Cathedral was closed, so we didn't get to go in, but it was gorgeous from the outside. We walked around a shopping centre and some random streets before the pub crawl started at 7:30. We hung out in the Purty Kitchen with some Welsh fans, who sang the whole time.

The pub crawl started at 7:30 and we got as much beer as we wanted for 30 minutes, which was like 2 glasses for me and even that was disgusting. We met some students from the real USC, Marcos, Nemeisha and Melissa. They were a bunch of fun. The pub crawl was super lame because you had to buy a drink at every pub (and that was about 5 euro) in order to get a free shot. We met so many people during this pub crawl it was insane. Like... Collee (who does the pub crawl to meet girls), Steven from Minesotta who is studying in Amsterdam, 3 Australians, Eddie from the States who was a wicked rapper. It was a lot of fun to just sit around and talk to people for sure. Trey and I ended up leaving early to catch the bus back to Swords, but we grabbed some dinner at McDonalds again before we left. When we got to the hotel, the room next ti us had their music blasting and so I went and told reception and they basically told them that if they didnt quite down they were going to charge them for disturbing thir neighbors.

Sunday we tried getting up early, but that didn't happen. By the time we got into town we only had time to eat bfast before the next bus we needed left. Breakfast was good. It was much like the Scottish breakfast. Eggs, beans, mushrooms, toast, and hashbrowns. We walked to a little park and took pictures because it was a really pretty day. We walked to the bus stop and left for the airport after that. The flight to Edinburgh was really short, like 45 minutes. When we got there, we were expecting Megabus to pick up there.... wrong. We had to take a stagecoach bus to the bus station about 45 minutes away. By that time, we had missed our first bus. Thankfully when we got there, the guy at the desk gave us two seats for the next bus for free.

Monday, I had lab at 9 and then again at 3. I have a paper due next Monday as well as a practical for Anatomy. I also am sick, I do believe it is the flu. I've had a fever for the last 3 days. I think I just need to slow down and relax. After I go to Brussels of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment