Monday, March 22, 2010

Brussels

I absolutely LOVED Brussels. Despite being so sick to where I was constantly dizzy, couldn't sallow, breathe and coughed the whole time...

Friday, our bus ride from Aberdeen to Glasgow was early early and long. We got to the airport smoothly and got through security fine. We arrived in Brussels and got on a bus to the city centre. We kinda not really forgot that they speak French, but we weren't really prepared for that. We spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out where our hotel was before we ended up just taking a taxi, which only costed about 7 euro anyway.

We got situated, I took some medicine and we headed to find food. We found a cute little cafe called Snack Shop. I had salad and a pear/apple sandwich. Afterwards, we kinda just explored for a little bit. We went to bed early Friday because we knew Saturday was going to be our exploring day.

Saturday, we started walking in the direction of the city centre and got some what there. We stopped and got yogurt/muffins and stuff for breakfast. We asked the cashier for some help getting into the city, luckily we were in the right direction anyway. We also decided to do the hop on and hop off bus tour so that way we could see more things. I'm going to be honest here. At this point, we saw so much stuff that I couldn't begin to tell you everything we saw. If you have a facebook, check out the pictures there. We saw the royal palace, the business district, the european parliament, the atomium, the conference center, lots of museums, lots of churchs and of course their castle.

The atomium was probably the coolest thing ever. It basically is a giant atom. You can see the whole city from the very top. Most of the other balls had corny exhibits.





We also walked into some square.. which I'm not sure what all was in it. But it was by far the prettiest place ever. While there, Trey and I split a Belgian waffle covered in chocolate and strawberries. YUM!!



We walked around for a little bit more to find one more statue. Brussels was literally covered in statues. All over buildings, on the sidewalk, they were everywhere. This little statue is called Manekkin Pis.

That night we went to a little pub called Le Stephany, and I got macaroni and cheese. Not that I could taste it because my nose was so stopped up.

Sunday, we had an early morning. Our flight left out at 10:50 and the bus met 3 hours prior to that. So we were checking out around 7:15 Sunday morning. We took a taxi in just because I still wasn't feeling better and we were scared if we walked we were going to get lost. We got to the airport and checked in and all that. Our flights were on time and we got to our bus in Glasgow with about 30 minutes to spare.

I'm still not feeling well. I have a nasty cough. Some man on the street today told me to stop smoking and I told him that the sad thing is I have never smoked. I got my practical turned in, as well as my paper. Now I'm catching up on the school that I missed last Thursday. I'm also in the process of packing, seeing how this week is my last week of class until April 19!! Also, my birthday is on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. its miranda! so i just found this.. the pictures are beautiful and so is the blog :) love hearing ur updates on how you r doing and what amazing things u get to do. im very jealous! i miss you and love u! :)

    ReplyDelete