Thursday, April 29, 2010

Paris and the adventure to Italy

The trip was long to Paris, but we finally made it. We stayed in the Crowne Plaza. The first night we went to the Sacred Heart up on Montmatre (sp) hill and I finally got to see Trey and Scott. Afterwards we took a drive around Paris at night. Absolutely beautiful. We got to see the Eiffel Tower sparkle at 11, very neat. The next day we had breakfast and went to climb the tower. I officially think that I a afraid of heights. I wasn't as impressed with the skyline of Paris, not many tall buildings, plus it was foggy. After, we went to Versailles Palace. WOW. Someone had way too much money. But it was beautiful nonetheless. It was cool to see where Marie Antoinette lived all that jazz. The Hall of Mirrors was cool as well. That afternoon/night we had to ourselves. We went to the Louvre (for free bc I'm a student) and saw all the things in there I wanted to see. the mona lisa was surprisingly tinier than I thought. We had to keep asking people to find Aphrodite. One lady basically didn't speak English and was like schoobadibly tick tick tick and we were like WHAT IN THE WORLD?!! We found her and then left. That night we mostly packed and Trey and Scott came over for a while and we planned Italy. France was currently experiencing a railstrike so we didn't really know what to do because the train station didn't know when any trains would be running to Italy.

Saturday morning my parents were leaving to go back home. It was so nice having them here and to finally see them. So of course I cried when they after. Trey, Scott and I headed to the train station to wait to leave for Italy. We were there from 7 to 3:30. It was a long day of watching people (getting pooped on by pigeons) and catching up. We basically ran for the train once it got there because we didn't know if it would be difficult to get on. It wasn't, we got a seat and then we were off. The next thing we know the train was stopping at the border of France and Italy. There we had to get off to catch a bus into Tolino (or something)... We had NO IDEA what was going on... mainly because no one spoke english and we didnt speak italian. We got on a bus and had a 2.5 hour drive through the alps of Italy and France. We would go through tunnels and everytime we came out it would just get darker. It was an experience to say the least. We got to Tolido or whatever it was called and had to figure out how to get to milan. Luckily the train came right when we got down there and we got to Milan around 11 and found a really nice and fairly cheap hotel to stay in for the night. Equiped with breakfast and tub and a mini bar. The next morning we got on a train to Venice.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's just France or all of Europe or what, but public transportation workers are on strike ALL THE TIME. Like I'm sorry you want more money and better hours (who doesn't?), but I'm not French so it's not my fault haha They don't seem to appreciate how frustrating that is for people trying to travel! And I think the city you're looking for is Torino, but it might be another city with a frustratingly similar name

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't remember Torino to save my life, haha! I think it's most of Europe because I heard Scotland had one during my break. Stupid strikes and volcanoes.

    I'm sure you're thrilled that your mom is coming! I hope yall have a safe, amazing time and a safe trip home!!

    ReplyDelete